How to increase Organic Traffic on your website
The wisdom of increasing organic traffic is pretty much in doing the opposite to anything that can spoil your organic traffic which we have discussed in another article. We also elaborated on the search engine work principles there. Understanding them will be of use if you are committed to attracting more visitors.
Let us now study this wisdom a little more in-depth so you can decide what specific measure to take right now to improve your SEO performance.
Content creation: good, relevant, and regular
In the above-mentioned article, we ended up speaking about the content. This time it’s worth starting off with it, as content is essentially what users come for.
First of all, create a section designated for content, call it Blog or News.
It makes especially much sense to write content that has to do with the products you offer and cross-link your offers with your articles.
Links from articles to offers help users to jump to your website’s commercial sections at the moment when they are most interested.
Vice versa, links from offers to articles help you keep the commercial pages concise and send users to the blog if they want more details.
To make the best out of your website content, make sure you:
- Create quality content: relatively long and well structured articles really useful for your target audience, as well as videos and other multimedia accompanied with proper descriptions and metatags;
- Make it relevant: the content itself must be well connected with the needs you help your target audience with. Pay special attention to the headings and page metatags, this is how you make your content noticeable both for users and for the search engines;
- Post it regularly: every time your website gets an update it is noticed by the searchbots. This persuades them your website is alive, meaning you keep running your business, and showing you high on the search result page is worthwhile. The users also make conclusions by the date your last articles were posted.
To create most valuable content, it is worthwhile to perform your own keyword research, i.e. find what keywords are most popular among your audience, and turn these keywords into article hearings.
Website search infrastructure and technical SEO
Before you fascinate users with your content, you have to excite the search engines, otherwise they will not show you in their search results.
The search engines’ attitude to your website is shaped based on a bunch of factors, mainly the following:
- Clear menu, page and URL structure;
- User experience and the ease of navigation;
- Internal links, their quality and quality.
Once the search engines find and crawl your website in and out, they will make their own calculations regarding these factors, but you have to let them in in the first place. To do so, take care of your robots.txt, sitemap.xml, and internal linking.
For example, if your robots.txt file blocks robots they will not even start researching your website and it will stay unindexed, i.e. absent in the search engine’s database.
If your sitemap.xml file is missing, they will not find pages without direct links, and these pages might be useful for the end users.
If your website is filled with broken internal links, the crawlers will find it inconsistent. Such lack of integrity leads to severe ranking losses.
Last but not least, security is extremely important. Your website must have an SSL certificate. Websites without “https” are in most cases blocked by browsers and penalized by search engines.
While investigating your website, the search engine tries to figure out the structure and the most important keywords of your content, so as to later take proper decisions on whom to show it based on what kind of needs you have solutions to.
To help the search engine properly categorize and index your website, use headings, title tags, meta descriptions, and keywords. This is how you make the structure of your content transparent, and assist search engines in returning your website to the most relevant search queries.
- Headings must be relevant and contain important keywords. Each page must be carrying only one H1 heading - the main heading. It should also be well noticeable visually. The rest of the page’s content should be marked with lower rank headers in the proper order: H2, H3, H4, etc. Beware conflicts!
- Page titles should be concise and meaningful because they are what the user primarily sees on the search result page. They also appear as the browser tab name. Including keywords in the title makes a lot of sense.
- Page description is what the user sees below the title on the search result page. It plays an important role in persuading the user to click on your link. It should be well built, compressed and appealing, but try to avoid making it too intrusive and annoying.
- Keywords help search engines to figure out what the page is about.
Search engines pay attention to your website’s authority around the web, first of all to the amount and quality of backlinks to your website. If many other websites contain links leading to yours, especially if they are themselves authoritative, e.g. have a high PageRank or Alexa Rank, your website’s credibility grows.
It is important to note that your backlink donors should be relevant, and the links should be without nofollow attribute.
The website should be easy to use. Great usability is achieved through:
- Transparent structure;
- Clear design;
- Unique images with relevant alt tags;
- Usable layout for desktop and for mobile;
- Quick page loading;
- Good internal linking.
Search engines have their ways to determine whether your website is usable or not, but the indirect effect is of the biggest importance here: users eagerly engage with usable websites. They spend a lot of time on the website, click through many pages, and rarely leave right after opening them. Search engines notice this and conclude that the website in question is useful.
Let us summarize. After reading this article, you can investigate your website and decide which of the mentioned requirements are met and which need more attention. Then you can create a list of improvements and regular activities to carry out. For more help, check our other articles and consider using our engine.